Sunday, December 19, 2010

Love at City Hall Maxim's Palace

I was recently in Hong Kong. Get to know what Hong Kong has to offer through my adventure. This is the 6th of 14 parts.


When in Hong Kong, eating good dimsum is a must.

During this trip, I visited City Hall Maxim’s Palace in Central because it was crowned by HK Magazine readers to having the best dimsum in town.

This Proved Helpful


I figured that if Maxim's Palace is good enough for the locals, it surely will be good enough for me!



On purpose, Murtle and I arrived late (around 2 pm) to avoid the notoriously long lines during the lunch hour.



Sneak Peek


Being inside the City Hall building, this branch of Maxim’s Palace is a popular venue for weddings. It's good enough with its high ceiling and subtle elegance.

Don't Be Fooled. I Took This Picture During Closing Time


Who cares about ambiance as I'm .... 

So Raring To Eat

Aunties with carts of goodies roam Maxim’s Palace. Murtle and I tried an egg tart from this lady while waiting for our orders to arrive.





Egg Tart

We realized here that it's not unusual for Hong Kong egg tarts to have a strong lemon taste. This is hot and flaky.


On To What We Were Here For

3 Kinds of Barbeque (HKD 138)

With Ginger and Honey Sauce

Goose: Skin is very crispy. Perfect once dipped in the sticky sauce.
Chicken: Juicy with a clean taste. Everything I want in my chicken and more.
Asado: Succulent and very soft. Genuine pork taste and consistency. Hard to find asado this good in Manila.


Dimsum at Maxim’s Palace ranges from HKD28 to HKD 46. I was too busy eating to take down notes.


No Dimsum Meal is Complete Without These


Xiao Long Bao
Delicate skin + Flavorful broth + Generous portion of meat = One Yummy Dumpling



Hakaw
Delightful as shrimps are fresh and huge. Could eat this all day.



Spareribs

Nicely done as meat is oh so tender. I also love the chunks of fat each piece had!




Siomai

Saved the best for last!  Divine. Huge chunks of shrimp made it impossible for Murtle, who is allergic to shrimps, have a bite. Sorry Murtle, but you missed a lot.


We're not done as Murtle wanted dessert:


Mango Pudding
A thin film of milk covers this dessert. Sweet mango with a hint of lemon. Very refreshing.

Without a doubt, I had the most sumptuous dimsum experience of my life at Maxim’s Palace. From now on, I’ll make it a habit to visit this dimsum wonderland whenever I’m in Hong Kong.

There are other branches of Maxim’s Palace around the city but I strongly suggest for everyone to visit the City Hall branch as it's not rare to see newlyweds at the courtyard.




It's an interesting way to cap a perfect meal.

City Hall Maxim’s Palace is located at 2/F City Hall, Central. Business hours as follows: Monday to Saturday: 11:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.; 5:30 p.m. - 11:30 p.m. Sunday and Public Holidays: 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.; 5:30 p.m. - 11:30 p.m. To locate other branches, try browsing this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...