Sunday, November 18, 2012

Street Food Korean Style

Since we were watching Nanta, we no longer had time for proper dinner during our first night in Korea. I didn't mind because I was eager to try Korean street food.

The Nanta Theater is located in Myeongdong where a lot of food carts set up shop at night. Scouting the busy streets of Myeongdong, I realized that when it comes to street fare, Koreans are not wanting in options.

I had a sensory overload looking at all the food choices making me wish to try almost everything in sight! I tried my best to do exactly that in our five days in Korea. 

DSC_0221
Sausages
I thought it would have a unique taste but it's just like any other hotdog one can find in any street corner around the world.

DSC_0268
Hotteok or Filled Korean Pancake
There was a long line in one of the stalls so I got curious.  Hotteok is made from fried dough filled with brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts. Oily and sweet which I loved!!! 


DSC_0259
Odeng or Fish Cake
A healthy street food option which is perfect during a cold winter night. Drink the lightly sweetened broth to warm the body. 

DSC_0264
Dakkocchi or Chicken Barbeque Skewers
Chicken was tender with a sweet and spicy glaze. Wished the meat could have been warmer though.


DSC_0320
Peanuts
No salt no flavor. Pass!

DSC_0277
Squid Flakes
It was oily but it was also very crispy. So fresh making it too easy for me to finish the bag. 


DSC_0313
Meat Bun
Very similar to what we have in the Chinese delis in Manila. Chewy crust and flavorful meat.


DSC_0686
French Fry Wrapped Hotdog
I was sure that I would love this but it was already cold when I had a bite. Make sure to buy a stick fresh from the frying pan.

Was I able to try all that I wanted to try? Not exactly, but I think I was able to cover some of the most popular Korean street food items so I left Korea satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...